If you have submitted a form, but cannot find your data or haven't received an associated report, it's advised that you check a few areas to locate the submission.
Was the form submission successfully uploaded by the device?
Checking the Submission Receipt
On the device that submitted the form, navigate to the Submissions Tab.
If the form has uploaded to the Device Magic successfully, there will be a tick in the right corner of the receipt. If there is a tick, this means that the submission has successfully been uploaded from the device and further troubleshooting should take place on the website.
When this is not the case, the submitted data is still on the device locally and can't be retrieved from the website.
Note: If the Submission is stuck in a pending/uploading state, there may be an issue with the device's wireless connection. A simple way to check this is to visit www.devicemagic.com in the device's browser. If successful and the issue remains, see the steps below.
Confirm the device is running the latest version of the app by checking the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android) for an available update. Then, try the following:
- Hard-close the app
- Switch the device off and on again
- Connect to a strong wireless connection (WiFi or Data)
- Plug in the device to charge
- Swipe down on the Submissions tab
- Leave the app open on this tab.
Tip: It is recommended that after clicking the Submit button within a form, the user navigates to the Submissions Tab in the app and watches the submission to confirm the upload has been successful.
- The app will need to stay open in order for the forms to be submitted successfully.
- Submissions with many images or signatures may cause uploads to take longer due to the uploading of these files.
Checking the Associated Device Page
Navigate to the Device Magic website and login to your account if you haven't already. To locate the submitting device's page, click "Devices" in the navigation bar and then select the device's name.
This will take you to a page displaying the device's details.
On the right, you will be able to see the most "Recent Submissions" that the device has made.
Click "view" on any of these submissions to see what Destination Deliveries were made. A lightbox will appear with the submission information and the Delivery details for that specific submission.
In the "Completed" column you will see one of the following:
- "Yes" - The delivery was successful.
- "Yes - Delivery skipped: Does not match destination conditions"- The destination has a delivery rule set up and the data did not meet the conditions of the rule in order to deliver.
- "No - Job was queued at : [date time]. Job has errors." - The delivery was unsuccessful due to an error.
In the example below, the Word to Google Drive Destination has errors and was not able to deliver. (See the "Check for Destination Delivery Issues" section below for the next step to resolving the issue.)
If there is a "Yes" next to your destination delivery, however you cannot find the report, you can resend submissions to the destination. If a Google Sheet destination states that it has successfully delivered, but you can't find the data, please check out this article.
If your email deliveries are still not appearing after resending a submission, please try the following:
- Check your email's Spam/Junk folder in case the submission ended up there.
- The email may be blocked due to your firewall settings. Please check with your IT department or the person who manages your email domain, if this is the case. Device Magic can also provide any logs associated with the email deliveries, such as email server responses, if needed.
Evaluating the Event Log:
The "Event Log" (below the "Recent Submissions") will show when forms were submitted, as well as when the device made contact with our servers. Use this to check device connectivity.
- Check Latest Timestamp on Event Log - If the latest timestamp shows that the device has not recently made a connection, then the submission may still be pending on the device.
- Compare Submission Timestamps - Compare the submission timestamp on the device's Submissions Tab to the latest “Event Log” timestamps and event types.
Check Server Activity - Swiping down in the Forms list in the app should create a “Requested resource list” and “Requested forms list” event in most instances. After doing this on the device, check the Event Log to see if the events are registered. This is a great way to ensure there is a solid connection between the mobile device and Device Magic servers.
Note: Large gaps in server activity is an indication of an unstable wireless connection.
Checking for Destination Delivery Issues
Click on "Home" to navigate to your organization's Dashboard/Home page. Once the page has fully loaded, you may see a red notification pop up that looks like this:
This indicates that there are delivery issues associated with your submissions.
Click on "view issues" and you will be taken to a page that lists your delivery error messages.
If you are still having issues locating a submission, please contact email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the form
- Name of the device
- Date & Time the form was submitted
Note: If a device is removed from the organization while a submission is still in a pending/uploading state, the pending submissions will unfortunately be erased for security purposes. This is the same case for saved drafts as well.
Other Useful Articles:
If you have any questions or comments feel free to send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.